Life and times of a Windows Phone user.

My Nokia Lumia 1520 had finally reached the end of the line. Although it wasn't dead in all honesty, it was still working well the battery on other end was a different story. While the battery functioned I had no clue when it would die. Sometimes it would drain to zero other times my phone would die with the battery at 80%, 40%, etc, etc.

With that issue at hand, it was now time to get a new phone. Of course, for most that is not a big deal but for a Windows Phone user it can be. Do not get me wrong I know the shortcomings of Windows Phone. With being said the 1520 has spoiled me. Large screen, great sound, and an outright beautiful device. The number of times people have inquired about my phone or I have caught someone gawking at my 1520 is to many count.

Microsoft dropped the ball with this device and the 1020. Every soccer Mom in America should have had a 1020 in their purse.

So when it came time to look at a new phone I started with Team Windows and boy was ugly, and I am being kind. Since Microsoft has done everything but admit they want nothing else to do with phones has only one device that meets my phablet needs the 950 Xl.

The only issue with that phone is that it's at least $100 overpriced. The phone itself is worth its value, and then some but with app after app being pulled from the Windows Phone ecosystem $500 is a bit much for a device that may not have any apps is eerie.

The Alcatel Idol 4S looks promising, but I think the device is a Trojan Horse to get you into VR.And last but not least is the HP Elite X3 which is being marketed as a 3in1 device and not a phone which explains its very expensive price. Is it worth it definitely, however, the perks of that phone is better suited for enterprise users than a consumer.

So with Windows Phone letting me down, it was time to look elsewhere. The first choice, of course, was the iPhone 7 Plus. iOS is stunning, of course apps are abundant, and the device itself is beautiful. However, nothing about it captivates me. It lacks expandable storage, the home screen is bland and ineffective, and finally, everybody has one.

With iOS eliminated that leaves Android. Talk about welcome to the jungle. Android fragmentation is a headache. But let's give it a try. The first phone that caught my eye was the Galaxy Note 7 talking about an idea blowing up in your face.

With the 7 off the table, I thought about the LG LV 20 but I was leaning towards that device because of the size. Finally after some digging a device caught my eye the Nexus 6P. I like everything about this device and the 6P offers me a chance to try Google's wireless service Project FI. The only issue with this device is that Google appears to be pushing towards EOL in seven months or so. So here I am again with the choice of purchasing something mildly expensive that will be basically out of service before it's warranty expires.

Now, why would Google suddenly pull the plug on a device that was there flagship device not so long ago? Simple that they have their own phone now the Pixel and since the Pixel looks like the iPhone long lost cousin it's not appealing to me.

They're a few more contenders out there the One Plus line but and the Mate 9 by Huawei but I need a phone now.For the record, I gave the Samsung 7 Edge a look but with the 8 right around the corner, I decided to pass on it for now. Which still leaves me without a phone. Oh, wait! I stumbled across a selection of 1520's on Ebay and of course I ordered one which arrived last Thursday.

Hopefully, by the time this phone says, sayanora Microsoft will have its act together. Well, one can dream.


Source: Life and times of a Windows Phone user.

Comments