The “cult of Windows Phone” might be Windows 10 Mobile’s saving grace

For the past two years, my home-for-the-holidays handheld has been a Windows Phone. My trusty Lumia 1020 saw me through a wild New Years' Eve party and a more sedate Christmas the following year, and on both occasions I cited the camera as the reason for my choice. Indeed, the 1020's 41MP monster was a better and more versatile choice than the iPhone or Android cameras available in 2013 and 2014, and it produced some wonderful photos from my holiday vacations. But now, coming off a double-review of Microsoft's two newest Windows Phones Windows 10 Mobile smartphones, I suspect that the reason I keep coming back to Microsoft's offerings has less to do with the camera, and more to do with the community.

Those who've been reading my stuff for a while probably just did a spit-take. For years I've heavily criticized the more vocal members of the Windows Phone fanbase, even at one point accusing them of helping to kill the platform with their vitriol and intolerance for any criticism of Microsoft's products whatsoever. While those problems still remain among the (dwindling) audience for Microsoft smartphones, I've come to realize that, for adopters of a nascent or underdog platform, such a passionate community can also be a big part of the fun.

 


Source: The "cult of Windows Phone" might be Windows 10 Mobile's saving grace

Comments